Thursday, December 4, 2014

English 101 by Claudia Pillcorema

Prof Alexander Claudia Pillcorema English 101 11/30/14 Final Essay Assignment There's only a few more days left until the end of the semester. Based off these past days and months, it has been the most stressful semester I have faced. Even though I only signed up for 4 courses. First year at college, I have learned couple of things from courses I took, such as English. In English 101, we have done classwork and assignments with the use of technology. Even work outside the class room like the Bryant park trip and campus library. Readings we were given, class discussions, and exercises all helped in with how we would write and understand more of the concept with literature What I learned about writing this semester is how to analyze and Paraphrase a quote. One of our discussions was the difference between quotation and paraphrase. Later on was using the lesson we learned with a work of Allen Poe. Picking out three of the most stand out quotes and then integrate with what is happening in the line. The integration is a skill used with quoting parts from the poem with supporting your claim. For example, I chose Line number one which is "During the whole of a dull, dark, soundless day in the autumn of the year, when the clouds hung oppressively low in the heavens". The integration of the line I wrote was from the beginning of Edgar Allen Poe's poem, he is narrating the weather as being cloudy with the "dull, dark, sand less day" and cold with “the autumn of the year". The "clouds hung oppressively low in the heavens" is how there's no sunlight. The "dull, dark, sand less day" part of the poem, I have used as support to what I understand is happening. The next step from the classwork was to paraphrase/summarizes the lines we have chosen. One of the techniques we have learned is steps of unpacking a quotation is introducing the quotation, summarize quotation, pick out some words and phrases to discuss. A word used in a paraphrase (different but means the same from the quote), causes emphasis in the sentence. When you’re to re phrase a quote in your own words, write it straight to the point. A technique in which talking about what the author has said. Another thing I have learned from this course is how to write a descriptive writing piece. We have gone on a field trip to Bryant Park and took notes, describing three people and a pigeon. The five senses of sight, touch, sound, and taste was what we were to use for this assignment. Not exactly taste a person in public (that’s just weird). In the next class, we were to turn our notes into sentences for an essay to be written. During class lectures, we were taught with being very detailed in the writing. A way in which to "Show, Don't tell". A way to help in writing the piece was to think as if having the mind of a stalker. To write about the appearance of the person and clothes is wearing. Each sentence written would give a vivid image to the reader in which the reader "sees what the person looks like". If you can see the person who you were writing about, saw then you have done it correctly. Also with For example, "she is happy". Instead, to write about what you observe and make you notice how the person emotionally feels. Aside with understanding more of the guidelines of descriptive writing, another thing I learned in English is how to do research on a topic using library resources. Not searching up information on the internet using goggle, yahoo, Etc. Using the college library website, there different sections in which can be directed to you to use such as tablets, research on articles and catalogs, books, cd's, tapes, reference books, and eBooks. There are also sections using the library research website that are under the topic you are searching up, or genre. One of the resources I have learned to use is SOCIOindex. When I was searching up literary resources, scientific facts, and reference for the animal library research (animal I chose were wolves), articles popped up. Most of the resources you would need to find for your assignment end up being reliable. You can put an option to search the date you want the sources to date from and current. Another course I’m taking sociology I had to do the same exact thing but write a 5-7 page paper which I was completely lost and didn't know “how to search information I need to find”. A lesson I can use with any other of my classes. Grammar wasn’t exactly taught as a major class lecture but the comments I have received has helped. To not rush through my writing without checking back on my spelling and corrections on my sentences that are fragments.

No comments:

Post a Comment